Monday, January 19, 2015

10 Hard-Earned Lessons from My Organic Garden

Since everyone is doing "top 10" lists, I thought I'd share some garden lessons I've learned the hard way:

1.  Buying used equipment can save money, but always, always, always test it before you buy it.  I failed to test this auger and spent several weeks trying to free up the telescoping housing for the PTO.  Everything ended up working well, and I did save money, but I certainly wasted time.

 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2.  Cut bluestem broomsedge (or any other grass, for that matter) BEFORE it goes to seed.  It took me 10 times as long to cut a field because I had to stop every round and clear the "fluffies" from the radiator screen.


  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3.  Heirloom varieties, especially cucurbits, will cross-breed.  This orange cucumber resulted when I planted three varieties of cucumber (one white, two green) on the same trellis.

                     +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
4.  You can save money by making things yourself.  For example, raised beds are quick and easy to make, and cost much less than the kits.


 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

5.  Don't dawdle when eradicating pests.  It only took a day or two for hornworms to skeletonize 8 plants.  Fortunately, the plants rebounded after I removed the pests.


 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

6.  Keep good records.  It can be the difference between thinking you are making progress (or even a profits) and knowing it.  Information can help you make the hard choices necessary to be successful.

 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
7.  Good sanitation is frugal.  The time and money you spend on cleaning reusable equipment more than pays for itself in minimizing costs and in preventing crop loss from spread of diseases.


 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
8.  If you can choose your dirt, choose good dirt.  I inherited mine, so I'll expend considerable effort (and expense) in amending it.  I'm also limited in what crops will grow well on my dirt.  I wouldn't want it to be easy, would I?

 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

9.  Roses are not nearly as fussy as many folks would have you believe.  Choose own-root heirlooms rather than grafted varieties.  Once they're established and mulched well, they're actually quite hardy.

.  
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

10.  I'd rather grow from seed than purchase transplants.  Heirloom transplants are really pricey, so growing from seed is frugal, as well as gives me a wider selection of varieties. I can choose cultivars that are particularly well suited to my garden rather than being stuck with what commercial nurseries supply.  Additionally, I can sell off my extra transplants.


 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What lessons have you learned from your Savory garden?

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!